Silueta Bilingual Magazine
Looking At The World From Another Perspective
By David H. Sharp
Somewhere I read that there are 5.2 billion people in the world--probably a few more have been born since I read this figure. Let us visualize for a moment that these billions have been shrunk into a sizable figure so we can play with a few figures, sa
y, a village of 1,000 people. Using the same ratio did you know that:
- 564 would be Asians, Oceanians, or Pacific South Sea Islanders?
- 210 would be Europeans?
- 86 would be Africans?
- 80 would be South Americans and only
- 60 would be North Americans?
Out of these 1,000 people
820 would be non-white and 180 white? But that's not all!
Some people have told me that they do not feel privileged.
- 50% of the entire world's wealth would be in the hands of 60
- 700 are illiterate (in the Western sense--non-readers)
- 500 would suffer from malnutrition
- 600 would live in substandard housing and
- 60% would live on less than a dollar a day
© 1994 - 2019 Silueta Magazine™ All Rights Reserved (ISSN 1077-4718 Print version)
No part of this publication may be printed or otherwise reproduced without
written permission of the publisher. Ninguna parte de esta
publicación puede ser imprimida o reproducida sin permiso por
escrito del publicador